The Church building originally served a dual
purpose as a Worship Centre on Sundays and a community Centre on Weekdays. Eventually a separate Church Hall was built
following a fund-raising campaign where people were encouraged to buy a brick
for 2/6d. Over 360 people queued to witness
‘their’ brick laid beside the foundation stone. The building was dedicated in 1957. In 1980 it was agreed that an area of land
belonging to St George’s,
including the Church Hall, would be sold for development as housing. This area is now called St George’sGardens.
The money raised was used to finance the building of a new Church hall, kitchen
and toilets. The project was completed
and dedicated in 1981 and the hall is now widely used by various groups in the
local area. The Jubilee room is an
extension to the side of the building which was added in 2002. It
provides a facility for small group meetings.